Safety Award for Teachers
Ofqual Title: STA Level 2 Award in Safety Award for Teachers(QCF)
The Safety Award for Teachers qualification aims to train candidates in pool rescue, first aid,
adult, child and infant CPR techniques. Candidates will be competent to deal with poolside
emergencies in accordance with The HSE Publication Managing Health and Safety in Swimming
Pools and British Standard BS EN 15288 Part 2, Safety Requirements for Operations.
- Be of 14 years of age or older
- Be able to recover an object from the deepest part of the pool
- Be capable of swimming 25 metres (candidates who cannot swim 25 metres must be capable of wading, and effecting a rescue, in a pool with a depth no greater than chest
Validity of Award: 2 years.
Length of Course: 6 Recommended Guided Learning Hours.
The Safety Award for Teachers qualification covers:
- Understanding the Pool Safety Operating Procedures
- Knowing how, and being able, to administer basic life support in a swimming pool environment
- Knowing how, and being able, to administer first aid in a swimming pool environment
- Being able to perform basic rescue skills in a swimming pool environment
- Knowing how to respond to a swimming pool emergency situation
- Understanding the importance of recording, reporting and analysing swimming pool emergency situations
The assessment criteria are as follows:
- Complete a portfolio and worksheet questions to the satisfaction of the course tutor
- Demonstrate the ability to carry out rescue activities in a safe, effective and prompt manner
- Demonstrate cardiopulmonary resuscitation, its preparatory actions and aftercare.
This qualification requires revalidation every 2 years to update knowledge and demonstrate